(click photo for larger view)

This is from my blog of 5-20-2013.

After 6 weeks of cruising in the beautiful Bahamas aboard 11' 10" ENIGMA, I'm now back at home. I didn't reveal the exact details of my proposed trip beforehand because frankly I wasn't sure if I could even do it even though I had visited the islands seven times before with my wife Mindy aboard our 15' sailboat, LITTLE CRUISER. However, this time was different and even more challenging because I traveled alone and without the benefit of an outboard motor.  It was a voyage for the purist with sail and oar only- inspired by my mentors Sven Yrvind and Matt Layden.

I left my home in North Carolina way back on March 17, and I drove directly to Key Largo.  Launching little ENIGMA on her own wheels at the gravel ramp near the Mandalay restaurant, I remained nearby for a few days until a favorable weather window appeared. Then, mustering up all my courage,  I left from the Northeast tip of Rodriguez Key in the late afternoon on March 22, making a night crossing of the Gulf Stream amongst dozens of fast moving ships to arrive in tropical Bimini the following day.  After clearing customs, I anchored overnight in the noisy harbor, and then I sailed in a moderate Southerly breeze 85 statute miles across the Bahama Bank to Chub Cay in the Berry Islands. However, the trip Eastward turned out to be quite stressful because I was caught offshore by a strong frontal passage where I experienced winds in excess of 50 knots. Fortunately, my 20 years of experience in sailing small boats on big waters paid off, and I managed to keep ENIGMA upright and on course to reach a safe harbor before nightfall.

Much of the rest of the trip went the same way where there were easy days and then those times that pushed my seamanship to it's very limits. From the Berry Islands I sailed on to Nassau and then to the idealic islands of the Exumas. When I finally reached Georgetown, I turned around and headed back up to Staniel Cay, where I aimed my bow Westward to sail 80 miles to reach the largest island in the Bahamas, Andros. I spent many days in South Bight, exploring it's unspoiled back waters while I fought off the constant attacks of voracious insects like the island's infamous "doctor flies".  These horse flies earn their name because their bite feels like painful injections. Then I took my time sailing back up North, eventually finding my way across the Bahama Bank and ultimatley to Miami, where I was hit unexpectantly at anchor by a 40 foot quad rowing shell. After surviving all the difficulties cruising the Bahamas in my tiny craft, I almost sunk in home waters.  My crippled cruiser was towed to shore, where I was able to load it on my trailer a few days later and bring it home for repairs.